Sports Analytics Research Lab
APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN.
Are you passionate about sports, data, and statistics? Apply now for the Summer 2024 program — and employ your skills, expand your knowledge, and make valuable contributions in the field of sports analytics.
Please join Ryan Brill and WSABI staff to discuss the details of the Lab in SHDH 109 on Wednesday February 21st, 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Register here.
Applications close March 29, 2024.
The Sports Analytics Research Lab provides an academic research experience for University of Pennsylvania students, open to rising sophomores, juniors, seniors, and graduate students.
Participants will enhance their analytical and research skills while learning:
- how to be applied statisticians,
- how to teach in new and engaging ways while meeting sports analytics leaders, making new connections, and having fun!
This 9-week program includes two distinct areas of engagement:
June 3 – July 26, 2024
Students will commence a research project aimed for publication that will be completed during their remaining time at the University of Pennsylvania. Applicants must be enrolled at the University of Pennsylvania for the fall 2024 semester to complete the project.
- Currently enrolled at the University of Pennsylvania
- Strong background in statistics, two semesters (minimum) of classes in statistics or related fields:
- one course in Python or R preferred
- have taken or currently taking STAT 4300, or its equivalent.
- Interest in sports analytics and intellectual curiosity to examine sports analytics at a research level
- Interest in working with high school students in their research
University of Pennsylvania graduate and undergraduate students are encouraged to apply.
A Day in the Life with Zeke Kelz, SEAS ’24
WSABI tagged along with Zeke Kelz, SEAS’24, to highlight his summer experience with the 2023 inaugural lab.