Summer Research Lab
The Sports Analytics Summer Research Lab provides an undergraduate academic research experience for rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors at the University of Pennsylvania.
Sponsored by Wharton Sports Analytics and Business Initiative (WSABI) and led by Adi Wyner, Professor of Statistics and WSABI faculty co-lead, along with Ryan Brill, WSABI doctoral student.
Participants will enhance their analytical and research skills while learning:
- how to be applied statisticians, and
- how to teach in new and engaging ways while meeting sports analytics leaders, making new connections, and having fun!
This 9-week program includes two distinct areas of engagement:
Five weeks of paid, hands-on research & learning in advanced statistics, where students explore real sports data sets to solve real problems
Four weeks of paid work experience as a teaching assistant for Moneyball Academy and Moneyball Academy: Training Camp
June 1 – July 28, 2023
- Hands-on research and learning in advanced statistics
- June 1 – 23
- July 3 – 7
- Teaching Assistant for Wharton Moneyball Academy: Training Camp, June 26 – 30
- Teaching Assistant for Wharton Moneyball Academy, July 10 – 28
Students will commence a research project aimed for publication that will be completed during their remaining time at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Currently enrolled at the University of Pennsylvania
- Strong background in statistics, one-two semesters of classes in statistics or related fields; knowledge of coding (Python or R preferred)
- Interest in sports analytics and intellectual curiosity to examine sports analytics at a research level
- Interest in working with high school students in their research
Rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors across Penn are encouraged to apply.
There are a limited number of spots open for this competitive program.
Applications for Summer Associate positions close March 24, 2023.
Please email Jamie Powers, Operations and Education Coordinator, to learn more or with questions.